SR 80 (Southern Blvd) Bridge Replacement Project
September 1 to September 30, 2020
Project Progress: 82% of time elapsed
- Construction of the southern portion of the tide relief bridge
- Installation of railing and sidewalk for the tide relief bridge
- Construction of bascule (movable) bridge
- Construction of the main piers for the bascule bridge
- Construction of intermediate piers for the eastern approach of the bascule bridge
- Pour concrete for deck spans on the western approach of the bascule bridge
- Installation of mechanical and steel components of the bascule leaves
- Installation of bascule leaves
- Installation of fender system
- Reconstruction of Flagler Drive and Southern Boulevard
- Install sidewalk on the east side of Flagler Drive
- Construction of the roadway and installation of lighting on Bingham Island
- Installation of mast arms and traffic signals at Southern Boulevard and Washington Road
- The south sidewalk on Southern Boulevard, from Washington Road to Flagler Drive, will be closed through summer 2020 for drainage installation and reconstruction of the roadway.
- Flagler Drive from Southern Boulevard to Worth Court North is closed through fall 2020 as the roadway is reconstructed. Access will be maintained for local traffic only. Sidewalks also will be closed. Traffic will be detoured as follows:
- Traffic going north on Flagler Drive should: Go west on Worth Court North to Washington Road; go north on Washington Road to Southern Boulevard; go east on Southern Boulevard to Flagler Drive.
- Traffic going south on Flagler Drive should: Go west on Southern Boulevard to Washington Road; go south on Washington Road to Worth Court North; go east on Worth Court North to Flagler Drive.
The navigable Intracoastal Waterway (ICCW) through the Southern Boulevard Bridge is restricted to half the channel. Full channel openings will not occur. During half-channel closures, the horizontal clearance through the bridge is 40 feet. Full channel closures are scheduled from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 31, and Tuesday, Sept. 1, for the installation of the replacement bridge’s east bascule leaf. The schedule of channel restrictions is published in the U.S. Coast Guard’s Local Notice to Mariners at www.navcen.uscg.gov. The Southern Boulevard Bridge opens for marine traffic twice per hour at 15 minutes and 45 minutes past the hour.