SR 80 (Southern Blvd) Bridge Replacement Project
September 1 to September 30, 2021
Project Progress: 98% of time elapsed
- Pouring concrete deck spans for the tide relief bridge
- Installing curb and columns on the tide relief bridge
- Installing span locks and handrail on the bascule leaves
- Installing columns and balustrades on the bascule bridge main piers
- Installing the bascule bridge fender system
- Installing drainage, handrail and sidewalks on Bingham Island
- Building the road base and paving on Bingham Island
- Installing riprap and bedding stone in the waterway around the tide relief bridge
- Installing traffic signal mast arms at Southern Boulevard and Washington Road
- The south sidewalk on Southern Boulevard, from Washington Road to Flagler Drive, will be closed for drainage installation and reconstruction of the roadway until further notice.
- Flagler Drive from Southern Boulevard to Worth Court North is closed until further notice as the roadway is reconstructed. Access will be maintained for local traffic only. Sidewalks also will be closed. Traffic will be detoured as follows:
- Traffic going north on Flagler Drive should: Go west on Worth Court North to Washington Road; go north on Washington Road to Southern Boulevard; go east on Southern Boulevard to Flagler Drive.
- Traffic going south on Flagler Drive should: Go west on Southern Boulevard to Washington Road; go south on Washington Road to Worth Court North; go east on Worth Court North to Flagler Drive.
City of West Palm Beach Utility Work: The City of West Palm Beach has closed Washington Road from Southern Boulevard to Malverne Road to perform emergency repairs to the sanitary sewer and drainage systems. For more information, contact Lina Camacho, West Palm Beach Senior Project Engineer, at (561) 494-1129 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Traffic will be detoured as follows:
- • Northbound Washington Road traffic should: Go west on Malverne Road to Olive Avenue, go north on Olive Avenue to Southern Boulevard and go east or west on Southern Boulevard.
- • Southbound Washington Road traffic should: Go west on Southern Boulevard to Olive Avenue, go south on Olive Avenue to Malverne Road, go east on Malverne Road to Washington Road.
The navigable Intracoastal Waterway (ICCW) through the Southern Boulevard Bridge is restricted to half the channel. Full channel openings will not occur. During half-channel closures, the horizontal clearance through the bridge is 40 feet. Bridge openings for the Southern Boulevard Bridge will be suspended from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. daily between Aug. 16 and Sept. 2. Half-channel openings may be requested with four-hour notice by calling (407) 488-0738. The schedule of channel restrictions is published in the U.S. Coast Guard’s Local Notice to Mariners at www.navcen.uscg.gov . The Southern Boulevard Bridge opens for marine traffic twice per hour at 15 minutes and 45 minutes past the hour.