SR 80 (Southern Blvd) Bridge Replacement Project
June 1 to June 30, 2021
Project Progress: 97% of time elapsed
- Installation of foundations for the north portion of the tide relief bridge
- Pouring concrete deck spans for the tide relief bridge
- Installation of drainage along the Southern Boulevard Causeway
- Construction of curb, sidewalk, overlooks and midspan columns on the bascule bridge’s western and eastern approaches
- Installation of mechanical and steel components of the bascule leaves
- Installation of electrical equipment for the bascule leaves
- Construction of the bridge tender house
- Reconstruction of Flagler Drive and Southern Boulevard
- Installation of traffic signal mast arms at Southern Boulevard and Washington Road
- The south sidewalk on Southern Boulevard, from Washington Road to Flagler Drive, will be closed for drainage installation and reconstruction of the roadway until further notice.
- Flagler Drive from Southern Boulevard to Worth Court North is closed until further notice as the roadway is reconstructed. Access will be maintained for local traffic only. Sidewalks also will be closed. Traffic will be detoured as follows:
- Traffic going north on Flagler Drive should: Go west on Worth Court North to Washington Road; go north on Washington Road to Southern Boulevard; go east on Southern Boulevard to Flagler Drive.
- Traffic going south on Flagler Drive should: Go west on Southern Boulevard to Washington Road; go south on Washington Road to Worth Court North; go east on Worth Court North to Flagler Drive.
The navigable Intracoastal Waterway (ICCW) through the Southern Boulevard Bridge is restricted to half the channel. Full channel openings will not occur. During half-channel closures, the horizontal clearance through the bridge is 40 feet. The schedule of channel restrictions is published in the U.S. Coast Guard’s Local Notice to Mariners at www.navcen.uscg.gov . The Southern Boulevard Bridge opens for marine traffic twice per hour at 15 minutes and 45 minutes past the hour.